A couple weeks ago I made a Key Lime Pie Ice Cream and immediately got hooked on homemade ice cream. Although that one was delicious, this chocolate ice cream puts it to serious shame. This stuff is beyond good, and I definitely don’t see myself buying ice cream from the grocery store anytime soon!
This ice cream is unbelievably smooth and creamy and the flavor is perfection! I had some Rolos that I chopped up and mixed in, as well. I made sure to chop them very small, because the caramel gets very hard when frozen, which I think is a nice contrast to the creamy ice cream.
After making this I finally gave in and bought my own ice cream maker! I’ll be making this again and again, and can’t wait to experiment with more mix-ins!
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 tb unsweetened cocoa
- 5 oz bittersweet or semisweet chocolate
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1/2 ts vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups Rolo minis
- Combine 1 cup of the cream with the cocoa powder in a medium saucepan, whisking thoroughly to blend. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer for 30 seconds, whisking constantly. Remove from heat and stir in the chocolate, finely chopped. Once smooth, stir in the remaining 1 cup of cream. Pour the mixture into a large bowl and set aside.
- Warm the milk, sugar, and salt in the same saucepan. In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks. Slowly pour a bit of the warm milk into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.
- Stir the mixture constantly over the medium heat with a heatproof spatula, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula. Pour the custard through the strainer and stir it into the chocolate mixture until smooth, then stir in the vanilla. Stir over an ice bath until cool.
- Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator, 8 hours or overnight. Then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. (If the cold mixture is too thick to pour into your machine, whisk it vigorously to thin it out. Add the Rolos into the machine in the last five minutes.