I know, I know, it’s been a LONG time since I’ve posted anything..a little over a year! But in my defense I’ve been busy getting married and making this tiramisu and such!
I made this for the first time last Christmas Eve for my Husband’s Italian family and it was decided that this would be “my thing” to make every Christmas. Luckily the recipe is actually quite easy, just make sure to give it plenty of time to set in the refrigerator, because it really makes a world of difference!
I have to say, I was never a big tiramisu fan before, but I’m a true believer now (and it’s even better with coffee the next day)!
6 egg yolks
3/4 cup white sugar
2/3 cup milk
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pound mascarpone cheese
1/2 cup strong brewed coffee, room temperature
4 tablespoons rum
2 (3 ounce) packages ladyfinger cookies
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1. In a medium saucepan, whisk together egg yolks and sugar until well blended. Whisk in milk and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils. Boil gently for 1 minute, remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Cover tightly and chill in refrigerator 1 hour.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat cream with vanilla until stiff peaks form.
3. Whisk mascarpone into yolk mixture until smooth.
4. Combine coffee and rum in a shallow bowl. Dunk each side of half of the ladyfingers in the mixture, then place in the bottom of a 7×11 inch dish.
5. Spread half of mascarpone mixture over ladyfingers, then half of whipped cream over that. Repeat layers and sprinkle with cocoa. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 to 6 hours, preferably overnight.
Adapted from Allrecipes.com