I’ve been going a little overboard with the ice cream recipes lately, so I decided I needed to mix it up a bit with a “healthier” alternative.
Watermelon is one of my favorite summer fruits so this recipe did not disappoint! It’s perfect for the end of the summer, even if the end of summer seems VERY far away here in Florida!
This recipe is also perfect for popsicles! I never pass up the chance to use my sailboat popsicle molds…
- 3 cups pureed watermelon
- 1/2 cup sugar
- big pinch of salt
- 1 tb freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1-2 tb vodka (optional)
- 1-2 tb mini semisweet chocolate chips (optional)
- In a small, nonreactive saucepan, heat 1/2 cup of the watermelon juice with the sugar and salt, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat and stir the sugared syrup into the remaining 2 1/2 cups watermelon juice in a medium bowl. Mix in the lime juice and vodka, if using.
- Chill the mixture thoroughly, then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. During the last minute of churning, add the mini chocolate chips.
- If making popsivles add to molds and freeze for at least a couple hours.